Thursday, August 18, 2011

Some Days are Good and Bad

This day did not start well. Kevin was in a bad mood. He couldn't even get on his bike, then had trouble staying on it. I finally figured it out -- he did not have enough sleep! He was exhausted!

Teo and Ellie happily watched Dora.

And Sophie is very comfortable too.

Melanie packed a picnic lunch and packed her boys into their bike trailer.

We rode to the Bell Tower, found a picnic table, then I went to pick up Kevin from Club. I peeked at him in his crafts class.

When he came out, he was wearing his new snake creation.

As we left Club at lunchtime, and headed to the Bell Tower, he saw a Club member ahead of him and called out, "Excuse me! Excuse me! Your backpack is open." He is always ready to help!
The boys enjoyed tumbling in the grass

Then we went to Bestor Plaza for ice cream. Kevin is showing Teo how to get a drink of water.

When I left Kevin at Club, he was the leader of the pack heading off to the next activity.

When I brought him home this afternoon and asked about his day, he said he didn't like the lifguards and didn't want to talk about it. Oops...

Tonight, Melanie babysat while I went to choir practice. This is how she transported three kids to Bestor Plaza!

Apparently, he had not been the perfect child as she was delighted that I could take over his responsibility. I found him in the midst of a hide and seek game with a group of older kids from Club. It was time to take our seats in the Amphitheater for the symphony concert. I can't say he was delighted. Although, once the music started, he was fine. The first half of the concert was a young violinist playing two violin concertos on a 300 year old Stradivarius violin. The first was Haydn, composed over 200 years ago -- very classic in style. I explained to Kevin that the next one was written seven years ago and would be very modern with strange sounds. He said, "This doesn't sound good." I told him it is like abstract art; it is music that is unique and unusual. And very difficult to play! After the second piece, I told him if we clap loudly enough and long enough, he will play an encore -- a short piece that is fun. He did play an encore, but it was Bach, was not "fun," and did not show off his dexterity. As we prepared to leave at intermission, the man in front of us turned around and said, "He is the best behaved child I have ever seen at a concert." :) I told the man, "He is very interested in music, art, dance. He LOVES it at Chautauqua!" As I ruminated on Kevin's interest in classical music, I recalled what a great teacher his Mommy was. She bought musical toys, taught him about classical music, and taught him to recognize the sound of and to identify most instruments.

I had ridden my bicycle to choir practice, so now needed to walk it home in the dark. Plus I had to walk with Kevin. He was tired with sore legs, he said. So I tried putting him on the seat of my bike. It worked!!! As long as he was balanced and helped steer, it was a easy -- even going up hills!

No comments:

Post a Comment