Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Day with Babysitter and Gabe & Karin

Kevin did so well riding his bike to and from Club yesterday, that I also rode my bike with him today. About half way there, he saw one of his counselors and rode with her chatting for almost the rest of the way. After delivering him to Club, I left for home as I had an appointment today and needed to bring back some warmer clothing. One of Kevin's counselors babysat him through the two hour lunch break and after Club until I returned at 7pm.

Thus... no pictures today. And few stories about the day either. But there are things I have forgotten to blog which I will include here.

Chautauqua is a friendly, safe campus, and Kevin takes it a step further. As we walk along, he says "Hi!" to many people we pass. He especially says "Hi!" to kids. Adults almost always return the greeting, but kids' usual response is the look at him like -- "Are you crazy? Who are you?" But after a second, they usually say, "Hi!" back.

Now that he is riding bike on campus, if someone is in his path, he calls out, "Excuse me! Excuse me!" rather than using his bell. So I am trying to explain, they don't have to get out of his way. He needs to avoid hitting them!

Dogs are everywhere here. When he sees a dog, he will usually say, "What kind of dog is that?" in order to strike up a conversation and perhaps have a chance to pet the dog.

Everyone LOVES Kevin! They are impressed by his conversation and cuteness. People are constantly mouthing to me without him seeing or hearing (usually), "He is so cute!"

We have seen my friend Melanie at least weekly or more. I didn't realize for the longest time that he was mispronouncing her name until she pointed it out. He says, "Men-a-lie."

When I returned this evening, he and his babysitter were watching "The Fox and the Hounds." I was surprised that the sitter wasn't eager to leave. She stayed for another half hour watching the movie with him. She babysat a few days ago also for only a couple of hours. When I returned that time, they were playing tag but they had to be an animal, not a person. She was being a snake slithering on the floor!!!! That game continued for a while also before she was ready to leave.

While checking Facebook tonight, I looked through recent photos Greg and Cathi have posted. I saw this one of Gabe (on the left). I see Karin so clearly in that sweet little face! I looked through the photos of Karin on my computer to find a similar one. Gabe is now 2 and Karin was about 2.5 in this photo on the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment