Monday, August 15, 2011

News Flash: Kevin rode his bike to Club!!!!

He is doing phenomenally well riding his bike with only two hours of experience without training wheels!!! He walked his bike up and down the hills, but did experience small slopes. He doesn't have enough confidence or experience for the the bigger ones yet.

As a somewhat veteran bike rider (It has been 25 years since I have been on a bike!!!), I am nervous about riding over Thunder Bridge. It is wide enough for two bikes to pass, but scary! He was not phased! He rode across the bridge!!! This photo shows two riders on the bridge. Kevin is the lead one. You need to bump up the size of the photo to see him. I did not ride my bike this morning to be able to help him as he needed it. As you can see, sometimes he got way ahead of me!!!

Thunder Bridge thunders when bikes pass over it! It is unique and beloved here at Chautauqua. Once past the bridge, you turn left down a long steep hill to the lake where the Boys and Girls Club area is. Of course, he could not navigate that one when he wouldn't even try on smaller shorter hills. But he WANTED TO!!!! He wanted to arrive at Club on his bike with NO training wheels!!! I helped him get on his bike at the turn near the bottom and ride INTO Club ON his bike!!!! He was proud of his new accomplishment!!!

This week, their gathering assembly is at the lakeside. They say the Pledge of Allegiance, sing the camp song, and have announcements.


My new system for lunch time is to not come back to our condo, but to have a picnic by the lake or eat at a restaurant at Bestor Plaza. The kids are to arrange a meeting spot for their parent to find them. He did NOT appear for 10 minutes! Almost everyone was gone, and no sign of Kevin. I ran to the YAC where he can buy treats for pennies, but did not see him. Finally, I went to the office to ask about him. One of the organizers went looking for him with me. He suggested he might be at the YAC, but I said I had been there. As we approached the YAC, Kevin came running to me. Whew!!!! Relief!!! He said he had been at the YAC. He must have been hiding...

We had our lunch at Bestor Plaza then toured the art gallery. Here are some of his favorites:
A bowl made from one piece of wood.

A unique sculpture -- one that he could possibly reproduce on a smaller scale with popsicle sticks!

A painting of Alexander Gavrylyuk rehearsing with the CSO in the Amphitheater.

At the end of the day, I did not ride my bike again, because I knew I would have to help him up all the hills. He is doing GREAT!!!! He did ride up and down the small slopes!
Tonight we baked some peanut butter cookies.

Can you believe watching Tom and Jerry can cause this much concentration???!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment