Friday, June 29, 2012

The First Awesome Moment of the Summer


I took Kevin to Boys and Girls Club, then went to the morning lecture -- the final day of Literary Week with Roger Rosenblatt interviewing a friend author.  Today was Dame Julie Andrews Edwards and co-author daughter Emma Walton Hamilton.  It wasn't until the program began that I realized -- why didn't I take Kevin out of B&G Club and bring him to this lecture?!!!  It was SO awesome to see Julie Andrews in person!!!  It brought tears to my eyes when she came on stage.  I learned later that I was not the only person affected that way.  It was fun to hear how they collaborate on their books.   They read together, as if a screenplay, from some of their books.  And, speaking of screenplay, they mentioned a Christmas Eve tradition in their family:  each person in the family reads a part from a screenplay of "The Christmas Carol"!  What a fabulous tradition!

Grandpa and I introduced Kevin to "The Sound of Music," "Camelot," and "My Fair Lady"over the past two years.  He can sing most of the songs of each.  Plus he knows "Mary Poppins" well.  

I had looked at her books in the bookstore this week and didn't see anything I really wanted to buy, but as I sat there listening to them talk, I knew I HAD to buy a book and stand in line to have both women sign it!!!!  With Kevin!!!!  I ran out as soon as they finished their conversation with Roger, and before audience questions, to buy a book!  I wanted one they had talked about which Kevin would enjoy -- "Dragon."  I managed to get to the bookstore before the mob, though, at 11:45, the autograph line was already forming.  I rushed to the B&G Club, ordered hot dogs for us at the Youth Center, then went to find Kevin.  We waited for our lunch and were in the growing lineup for autographs by 12:30.  Today was gorgeous and in the high 80's.  Fortunately, our place in line was in the shade, as we were stuck there until 2:00, before the line started moving.  Staff counted out the line as they were only going to take the first 200 books -- one book per person.  We were #170.  We sat on the ground to eat our hotdogs and enjoyed conversation with our neighbors.  Kevin, of course, was busy running around much of the time.  We read the first two chapters of "Dragon" and played "I spy with my little eye" to pass the time.

 Kevin is on the left corner of the fountain.






Before it was our turn, I asked Kevin if he wanted to say something to Julie Andrews -- like, "I love your movies!"  He did not.  When it was our turn, I told Julie Kevin LOVES her movies and her songs, and he knows most of them very well.  She spoke to him asking how old he is.  A young girl was sitting with Julie and Emma, and I asked her if she was Julie's granddaughter, and she was -- Hope Hamilton.  They were very gracious and sweet.  It was 3:15 when we left.  We had waited THREE hours!!!!  But it was worth it!!!! 

I bought Kevin an ice cream next door and left him at a table while I rode my bike down to the B&G's Club to find Aaron, the counselor who is Kevin's babysitter.  Aaron had asked Kevin this morning if he could ride his bike down to the B&G's Club alone at 6:00 rather than Aaron coming up the hill to our place.  I had to tell him, 'No!"  I am not secure enough to allow Kevin to navigate the "traffic" of Chautauqua -- all the walkers (many elderly), bikers, scooters, and occasional cars or trucks.  He does very well, but doesn't have enough experience yet to be totally on his own.

At 4:30, we were having company in our condo -- Bob and Shelagh Fleck, the buyers of our home in Burlington! 
They came over to celebrate our sale with a bottle of champagne!  Kevin took this photo with Bob's camera.
 Bob took some shots of Kevin.  I was initially surprised he took this shot of a seemingly bored boy.  But when I saw a disc of his shots, I realized his photos tell stories!  And this does tell a story!  Kevin wanted to watch his Scooby Doo shows while being surrounded by adult conversation.  ha!  Yep!  Bob caught the moment!
 Then another shot of Kevin totally engrossed in his program.

At 6:00, I needed to be a my choir rehearsal.  Aaron met us at the rehearsal location and took Kevin off with him.  Kevin told me later -- Aaron played baseball and paid another girl to watch Kevin!  LOL   But it was Aaron who appeared with Kevin at 7:45 back at my rehearsal hall.

Tonight the concert was The Righteous Brothers.  I heard them 15 years ago in Las Vegas.  They weren't at the top of their game then, so I didn't expect much of this concert.   Kevin said he liked the music.  My assessment was it was not a great experience.  At Intermission, half of the audience left.  As we walked away, I overheard a mother talking to her young boy about comparing "Under the Streetlamp" last week with this concert.  She pointed out the Jersey Boys danced great choreography and had wonderful show clothes.  Both shows were of old music, but the Jersey Boys sang clear, sharp and crisp, whereas tonight's singer was sloppy, off key, and not dressed well.   




No comments:

Post a Comment