Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Drummer Hoff

I gave Kien some breakfast and suggested I read to him while he ate.  First, I read "The Grouchy Ladybug," then "There's a Wocket in my Pocket."  Kien went to his bedroom bookshelf to pick out a third book -- "Drummer Hoff," one of my favorites to read as I play with the text vocally.
 Kien had an interesting reaction to this book!  First of all, he LOVES swords, so was intrigued by the swords in some of the pictures.  As we went through the book again, it is only the higher ranking officers who have swords.  He asked about the clothes they were wearing as the uniforms for each rank are totally different to "normal" uniforms.  Then he asked what "shot" meant ("Major Scott brought the shot").  And he wanted to know why they shot the canon.   This kid thinks deeply!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment